|Ashwini Ponnappa Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||September 18, 1989|
Ashwini Ponnappa is an Indian badminton player who is widely known for having represented her country on the international badminton circuit in the women’s as well as the mixed doubles disciplines, and bagged India’s first gold medal in women’s doubles at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. She is the recipient of many accolades including the Arjuna Award in the past. She has amassed more than 100k followers on Instagram.
Ashwini Ponnappa Machimanda
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
She attended St. Francis Xavier Girls High School in Bangalore and St. Mary’s College in Hyderabad.
- Father – Her father used to play hockey for India.
- Siblings – Appanna (Younger Brother)
5 ft 5 in or 165.5 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has dated –
- Karan Medappa (2017-Present) – On December 24, 2017, she tied the knot with businessman and model Karan.
Race / Ethnicity
- Pierced nose
- Cheerful smile
- Sharp nose
Ashwini Ponnappa Favorite Things
- Animal – Street dogs
Source – Instagram
Ashwini Ponnappa Facts
- She has revealed that she first held a racquet when she was about two-and-a-half years old. She went to her first camp when she was 6 years old – it was a camp for the summer at YMCA.
- In spite of her father having been a hockey player, she had preferred badminton over hockey, and begun training in it.
- Ashwini began playing badminton in the early 2000s and bagged multiple national titles at the junior level.
- She has been an avid book reader. She has also cherished watching films with one of her most-loved movies having been Begin Again.
- Ponnappa has revealed that before a tournament, her training has usually been for about five hours a day, which has included 2 sessions 4 days a week and also 1 session twice a week, with Sundays being holidays.
- She has tried to stay fit when at home by going to the gym and when that has not been possible, she has done some wall practice with hex balls along with some throws with another softball. She has liked doing breathing exercises with her Dhyana app and has also done some exercises with the help of the loop band and the theraband.
- She has stated that on her day off, she has preferred to just relax at home, listen to some music, and read books. She has often enjoyed trying out new recipes after having learned to cook.
- Ashwini has had a great time at the world championships as she has found the feeling of playing there to be amazing. She has really liked playing at the Indonesian Open too as the atmosphere at the stadium has been buzzing with a huge amount of energy, due to Indonesia being a place of badminton lovers.
- Other than badminton, the sports she has enjoyed watching have included tennis, football, and extreme sports games. She has had a good time seeing many sports documentaries, as well.
- She has disclosed that she has kept herself motivated by reading positive quotes. She has been a big fan of quotes and has been delighted to have found a quote for almost everything.
- Ponnappa has stated that she has never been finicky about what she has eaten, only that she has tried to get in loads of carbs before her matches begin in order to ensure she has the energy to play her matches.
- When on a sports diet, she has loved to gorge on Sushi.
Featured Image by Ashwini Ponnappa / Instagram